Finding Aids

Title
Womens Canadian Club (Nanaimo) fonds
Text
Womens Canadian Club (Nanaimo) fonds [textual record]. -- 1928 - 1956.
7 v. 17.5 cm of textual records

The Women's Canadian Club of Nanaimo was organized by Mrs. J. Osman Dobeson. The first meeting was held at the Canadian Legion Hall on Chapel Street in 1928.

Records were found in a Mrs. Neave's attic after her death and given to the Nanaimo Historical Society, who, in turn, donated them to the Nanaimo District Museum around 1993. In 1996, the records were transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives.

Fonds consists of three record books, a minute book and a cash book. The record books contain newspaper clippings, and programmes relating to members and activities. Items that were removed by Museum staff including annual reports, correspondence and an essay haved been filed separately. The group had speakers on a wide variety of topics, (e.g. Hitler, birds, native indians) and its members were involved in many of the other local groups. Many of the clippings are annotated.

Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Records dispersed by Museum staff into subject files were reconstituted as a fonds by Archives staff in 1996.
Photo 1
Photo 2