Finding Aids

Nanaimo Mine Rescue Station fonds
Nanaimo Mine Rescue Station fonds [textual record]. -- 1914 -1951.
13 cm of textual records

The Nanaimo rescue station reported to the B.C. Department of Mines, Office of Inspector of Mines. Instructors provided training and certification of mine rescuers. The course consisted of 20 hours in the smoke chamber, 16 hours for training in a mine-like obstacle course, and 2 test sessions of 2 hours each. J. Stewart was the first instructor. Richard Nichol and Peter Kemp were later instructors.

Material was donated to the Nanaimo District Museum in an undocumented transaction and transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1993.

Fonds consists of correspondence (1922 -1951) with the Vancouver Island Mine Safety Association and the provincial Inspector of Mines; examination questions and records (1915 -1936); lists of mine rescue team members (1940-1950) and annual reports 1914 -1936.

Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Photo 1
Photo 2