Finding Aids

Nanaimo Gaol fonds
Nanaimo Gaol fonds [textual record]. -- 1877-1884.
1 v. : ms.

In the early years, the Bastion was used as a temporary lock-up for minor offenders. In 1873, the Provincial Gaol was built on Front Street; a second storey was added in 1877. This rustic structure was replaced in 1894 by a brick building on Skinner Street. It is unclear who created and maintained the jail register; both the provincial and municipal governments were involved in law enforcement and maintenance of prisoners.

The register was donated to the Nanaimo District Musem by P.J. Piper, who had unofficially removed it from the City of Nanaimo's vault. It was transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1993.

Fonds consists of the register for the Nanaimo Gaol. The register notes the age, occupation, religion, marital status, country of origin, date of trial, offence, sentence, remarks, and sentence expiries of prisoners housed in the Nanaimo Gaol. Also includes an index.

Title based on the contents of the fonds.
The register is in very fragile condition.
Researchers should use the transcribed version provided in the box.
Photo 1
Photo 2
Detail Page