Finding Aids

Mayo Lumber Company collection
Mayo Lumber Company collection [textual record]. -- [Reprinted ca. 1981 (originally created ca. 1959-1972)].
1 cm of textual records

Mayo Lumber Company was founded by Mayo Singh who came to Canada from India in 1908. In 1918, the Singh brothers moved to Vancouver Island (to Paldi, west of Duncan) from the mainland where obtaining adequate timber supplies had become difficult. Mayo Singh died in 1955, by which time he was sole owner of the company. Mill operations were located in Paldi, McKay Lake and Charter Siding with large timber holidings in various locations. Company operations were taken over by Rajindi S. Mayo, the eldest son of Mayo Singh, who with his brothers and family worked to consoidate and expand operations. The company's headquarters were moved to Nanaimo in 1963 and later to Vancouver.

Donated to the Nanaimo Museum by R.S. Mayo in 1981 and transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1993.

Collection consists of photocopies of newspaper clippings about Mayo Lumber Company, two letters and three information circulars titled "Enterprise and Action", "The Mayo Group--Its History and Potential" and "A Few Facts about Mayo Lumber Company Ltd."

Title based on the contents of the collection.
Original museum no.: Code 16.
Photo 1
Photo 2