Finding Aids

Entrance Island Lighthouse fonds
Entrance Island Lighthouse fonds [textual record]. -- 1879-1881.
1 v.

The construction of a lighthouse on Entrance Island, to mark the entrance to Nanaimo harbour, was put out to tender in late 1874. A contract, for $4,450, was awarded in February of 1875, with a completion date of July 15, 1875. Construction did not actually begin until late October, 1875, and was plagued by a number of problems, including the drowning of three workmen in November, and the "absquatulation" of the first contractor-- Mr. Baker--(with all the funds) in February of 1876. His successor-- Mr. Gordon--followed the same course two months later, also leaving unpaid workmen and storekeepers behind him. Although the lighthouse was finally declared to be finished by A Finney on April 29th , it was not lit up until early June. It soon became the object of excursions from Nanaimo. The first lighthouse keeper, John Kenny, lasted less than six months, and was replaced by Robert Gray, who remained in the job for thirty years.

Journal was donated to the Nanaimo District Museum in 1991 by the Nanaimo Bastion Museum Society. It was transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1993.

Fonds consists of a journal, which notes weather and names and dates of ships entering the Nanaimo harbour.

Title based on the contents of the fonds.
A photocopy is available for public use.
Administrative history from the Gabriola Museum website.
Photo 1
Photo 2