Nanaimo Daily News fonds [textual record, graphic material]. - [ca. 1960-1998]
20 cm of textual records.
ca. 10, 000 photographs.
Vancouver Island's second-oldest newspaper, the Nanaimo Daily Free Press, was started in 1874. The newspaper was published that year as a semi-weekly by George Norris. Another newspaper, the Gazette-Tribune, pre-dated the Free Press in the city. It started in 1865 and was published by a group of citizens. The Gazette-Tribune was managed by Joseph McClure, who became the sole owner in 1866 and changed the paper's name to The Tribune. This paper lasted only about a year. When it went out of business, Nanaimo was left without any news services until the founding of the Free Press. The Free Press became a daily after 14 years of operation and in it's new incarnation as the Nanaimo Daily News remains the city's only daily newspaper. When George Norris died in 1902, the paper was continued by his sons, George E. and Will F. Norris. After the death of George E. Norris, the paper was sold to Thomas Booth, who later sold it to the Nanaimo Daily Free Press Limited, a company that included two or Norris' grandsons. In 1938, the company acquired the printing plant of the Nanaimo Daily Herald, and both papers were printed there until the suspension of the Herald later that year, leaving the Daily Free Press as the only daily paper. The newspaper was printed by steam print method. The ponderous hot-metal system was replaced in time by pasted-up "cold type" which was photographed on full-size page sheets then transferred to the press on an aluminum plate. When all departments, including the newsroom, became computerized in 1985, the Free Press made a giant leap into high-tech printing. The partners continued operation of the newspaper they had bought from Booth until April 1, 1954, when they sold it to Roy Thomson. In 1961, the Thomson Corporation began publishing the Nanaimo Times which essentially existed in competition with the Daily Free Press. However, the Times was a tri-weekly mass distribution newspaper and its employees were members of the Graphic Communications International Union. The Times faced a lockout situation in 1994 and ultimately ceased production in November 1996. The following month the Daily Free Press took over the production of a new non-daily community-based newspaper replacing the Times with the Harbour City Star. The Daily Free Press remained a member of the Thomson chain until it was purchased by Southam Publishing Ltd. It was subsequently purchased by Canwest Global. In April 1997, the daily was relaunched in a new format and renamed the Nanaimo Daily News. Many Daily News staff writers and photographers have won awards for their work over the years, in British Columbia, Canada and North America competitions. The office is now located at 2575 McCullough Road.
Fonds consists of published and unpublished photographs taken by staff and outside photographers of events, individuals, buildings, and community groups in the Nanaimo region. Many of the photographs were taken by Englefield Studios. Also includes material related to the Nanaimo Commonwealth Holdings Society Bingo scandal.
The fonds is arranged in three series: 1) Prints 2) Negatives and 3) Bingo scandal materials.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Series descriptions available. Some item level descriptions available on public database.
Written permission to reproduce images must be granted by the Nanaimo Community Archives. Credit line must read "Nanaimo Daily News fonds"
Photographs were donated by Peter Godfrey, Managing Editor, in 2001.
The newspaper is available on microfilm at the Daily News offices, Vancouver Island University and the Vancouver Island Regional Library. Bound copies of the paper are also available at the Nanaimo District Museum.
ACCESSION NUMBER 2001 001 A
2008 017 A
LOCATION F-Negatives and unprocessed prints
E-07-04 Box 8 (Processed prints)
E-07-04 Box 10 (Processed prints)
E-08-01 Box 4 (Processed prints)
E-01-06 Box 5 (Bingogate)
Prints [graphic material]. -- [ca. 1960-1998].
426 photographs : b&w, col.
Series consists predominantly of black and white photographs of a wide range of local events, buildings, aerial views and people. Many of the photographs have captions and/or annotations on verso. Also includes photographs taken for the Nanaimo Times.
Title based on the contents of the series.
Restrictions apply. See individual descriptions.
LOCATION E-07-04 Box 8 (Photographs 1 - 117)
E-07-04 Box 10 (Photographs 118 - 348)
E-08-01 Box 4 (Photographs 349 - Room F (Unprocessed material)
Negatives [graphic material]. -- ca. 1960-1998].
ca. 8,000 photographs : negatives.
Series consists of negatives and contact sheets. Items are housed in negative enclosures within binders. Title based on contents of series.
LOCATION F-in process
Bingo scandal materials [textual record]. -- 1981-1998, intermittent.
20 cm of textual records
Series consists of materials, collected by newspaper staff, related to the Nanaimo Commonwealth Holding Society Bingo scandal, commonly known as "Bingogate." Includes copies of legal documents, newspaper articles and press releases, financial statements, and reports. Also includes a pamphlet about David Stupich, who was convicted of fraud in the case.
Title is based on the contents of the series.
File list available.
LOCATION E-01-06 Box 5
Series 3: Bingo scandal materials
File 1. Newspaper clippings
File 2. Summary of allegations
File 3. Investigation report
File 4. Legal documents, Swinton & Company
File 5. Report of the Renewal Commission for Party Reform
File 6. NCHS financial statements, 1981-1991
File 7. Annual reports for various groups
File 8. Revenue Canada taxation returns, 1985-87
File 9. News releases
File 10. Information to obtain a search warrant
File 11. Warrants to search
File 12. NCHS grounds for belief
File 13. Pamphlet: A Valedictory for David Stupich
File 14. Correspondence
File 15. Directories: various BC organizations
File 16. Miscellaneous: Notes and Documents