Nanaimo and District Fish and Game Protective Association fonds

Nanaimo and District Fish and Game Protective Association fonds [textual record] --  1954-2012.

4 cm of textual records.

2 photographs.

In 1954, the Nanaimo Gun Club and the Nanaimo Fish and Game Association officially merged to

become the Nanaimo and District Fish and Game Protective Association.  A form of the club had been in existence as early as 1905 when a local group organized in response to a provincial government plan to sell all hunting rights on Vancouver Island to American interests.  The club promotes fishing, hunting and other outdoor recreational pursuits and wildlife conservation. The NDFGPA also teaches the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation program (CORE) and works cooperatively with provincial agencies on the Vancouver Island marmot project, deer counts, lake and stream monitoring, and elk relocations. In addition, many members serve on various regional, provincial and national Boards and Committees dealing with wildlife and        fisheries management issues.

Fonds consists of records generated by the activities of the Nanaimo and District Fish and Game Protective Association.  Fonds is arranged in the following series: 1) Constitution and bylaws; 2) Minutes;  3) Correspondence;  4) Annual Reports 5) Newsletters; 6) Ladies Auxiliary and 7) Miscellaneous

Title based on the contents of the fonds.  Material was arranged by club archivist prior to its deposit at the Nanaimo Community Archives.  Series descriptions available.

 

SERIES 1.

Constitution and Bylaws [textual record]. --  1954-2005, intermittent

3 cm of textual records

 

Series consists of copies of constitutions and bylaws of the Nanaimo and District Fish and Game

Protective Association (1954, 1973 and [2005?]), and the constitution and bylaws of the B.C. Federation of Fish and Game Clubs (1957).

Title based on the contents of the series.

 

SERIES 2.

Minutes [textual record]. --  1972-1979

5 cm of textual records

 

Series consists of regular and executive meeting minutes.

Title based on the contents of the series.

 

SERIES 3.

Correspondence [textual record]. --  1956-1974

27 cm of textual records.

 

Series consists of incoming and outgoing correspondence. Also includes a separate file of correspondence between the Workmen's Compensation Board and the Association.

Title based on the contents of the series.

 

SERIES 4.

Annual reports [textual record]. --  1961-1971

6 cm textual records.

 

Series consists of reports from the following committees: Social, Search and Rescue Committee, Building, Publicity and Public Relations, Access, Rifle and Pistol, Deer, Trout, Membership, Junior Firearms Safety Training, Steelhead, Draw, Trap, Newsletter, Upland Birds, Salmon, Archery Division, Migratory Game Birds, Grounds and Pollution.  Also includes annual reports from club's executive members.

Title based on the contents of the series.

                       

SERIES 5.

Newsletters [textual record]. --  1975-1978, 2001-2012

13 cm of textual records.

 

Series consists of association newsletters in both draft and final versions.

Title based on the contents of the series.

 

SERIES 6.

Ladies Auxiliary [textual record, graphic material]. -- 1958-1972

8 cm of textual records

ca. 50 photographs

 

The mandate of the Ladies Auxiliary was to "assist the Nanaimo Fish and Game Organization in any way".  The first meeting of the Ladies Auxiliary was held in January, 1958.  Their primary role initially was to fund raise to help with the construction and furnishing of the "new" Clubhouse on Nanaimo Lakes Road.  They played a significant role in that endeavor, and following its completion, disbanded in 1972. 

Series consists of two scrapbooks with photographs and clippings, a history of the Auxiliary, and constitution.

Title based on content of the series.

 

 

SERIES 7.

Miscellaneous [graphic material]. - 1950, 1988.

2 photographs

 

Series consists of two photographs including an aerial view of the clubhouse (1988) and an aerial view of the clubhouse grounds (1950).

Title based on the contents of the series.