William (Bill) Drummond Loudon fonds
 
        William (Bill) Drummond Loudon fonds [cartographic material, graphic material, textual
record]. -- [ca. 1880] -[ca. 1980].
4 maps
52 photographs
1 cm of textual records
 
        William Drummond Loudon was born in 1897 at Wellington, B.C. Loudon had four siblings: Jeanne, John, Jimmy, Gordon and Agnes. After attending public school, he apprenticed as a mechanic. During World War I, Loudon served for three years with the Canadian Mounted Rifles. Once demobilized, he returned to Nanaimo and purchased land in the Wellington area and operated a dairy farm until the start of the Depression in 1929. He passed the farm on to a younger brother and started a mine on the property. Loudon, along with several others, owned numerous properties in the Wellington area, including 700 acres that contained the Old Wellington Cemetery property. Loudon donated the cemetery to the community. He also donated land at Long Lake for a park. Loudon's home is now the site of the Long Lake Inn. Loudon's grandparents owned Thompson's Furniture Store in Wellington in the 1890s. The Loudon family home was the Dunsmuir home on Jingle Pot Road [1905?]. Well travelled, Louden visited Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Europe, and Ireland. He cut the ribbon at the opening of the new four lane Island Highway between Norwell Drive and Hammond Bay in 1978.
        Fonds consists of records related to the Loudon family, the Loudon mine, and properties in the Wellington area. The fonds is arranged in series as follows: 1) Photographs; 2) Maps; 3) Loudon mine records; and 4) Personal papers.
        Title based on the contents of the fonds.
        Series descriptions available.
        Records were donated by Loudon's nephew Stewart Donaldson.
 
Series 1.
 
        Photographs [graphic material]. -- [ca. 1880-1970].
52 photographs
 
        Series consists of photographs of the Loudon family, Loudon mine, Wellington Presbyterian Church, Dunsmuir Jingle Pot Residence, Loudon home at Long Lake, E & N Railway Bunkhouse-Courtenay and miscellaneous other images.
        Title based on the content of series.
 
Series 2.
 
        Maps [cartographic material]. -- 1935, 1948, [194-].
4 maps
 
        Series consists of a plan of the Loudon and Wakelem-Carruthers slopes [194-], and three subdivision plans for property in the Wellington District (1935, 1948).
        Title based on the contents of the series.
 
Series 3.
 
        Mine records [textual record]. -- [194-], 1961.
.5 cm of textual records
 
        Series consists of a financial statement for Loudon's No. 3 coal mine and a receipt book [194-].
        Title based on contents of the series.
 
Series 4.
 
        Personal records [textual record]. -- 1962, 1965-1979.
.5 cm of textual records

        Series consists of a copy of Loudon's birth certificate (1962), correspondence to John Loudon, and newspaper clippings collected by Loudon including articles about Loudon's life and Wellington Cemetery.
        Title based on the contents of the series.
        Clippings have been photocopied.