Vancouver Island Exhibition Association fonds
 
        Vancouver Island Exhibition Association fonds [textual record]. -- 1953, 1971, 1975.
1 cm of textual records

        The Nanaimo Dairy Agricultural and Horticultural Society operated from 1894 -1900. The Society sponsored its first exhibition in Nanaimo in 1894 on the site of the Comox Road Park. The fair was opened by Samuel Robins, Superintendent of the New Vancouver Coal Mining and Land Company. The first agricultural building was erected on the site of the present Boy Scout Hut. In 1910, the Western Fuel Company offered the Association nine lots bordered by Wentworth, Machleary, Kennedy and Campbell Streets. Plans were drawn for an Agricultural Hall by local architect W.A.Owen and the building was completed September 18, 1911. In 1914, the building was taken over by the military. In 1922, the building became the Nanaimo High School, and in 1931 was renamed the Thomas Hodgson School. The building was demolished in the 1957. The society reorganized in 1953, and became known as the Vancouver Island Exhibition Association. In 1956 [3?], the City of Nanaimo purchased Beban Park, which became the new home of the exhibition.
        Material was donated to the Nanaimo District Museum in an undocumented transaction and transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1993.
        Fonds consists of a copy of the constitution (1953); a copy of a five-year lease from the City (1971); an exhibition prize book (1975); a blank entry form, and a newspaper clipping about the history of the association.
        Title based on contents of the fonds.