Steel family collection
 
        Steel family collection [graphic material, textual record]. -- [ca. 1910]-2008.
39 photographs : b&w and col.
1 leaf
 
        John Steel (b.1860) and his oldest son Thomas (b.1896) immigrated to Nanaimo from Workington England in 1910. In 1912, John sent for his wife Agnes (nee Lawry Beattie; b.1869), brother Thomas (b.1896), son Joseph (b.1904), and daughters Janey and Janet, and the family moved into their home at 100 Victoria Road. John Steel founded J. Steel & Sons Contractors in 1912, and despite many changes to its name over the years, the family business operated until 1963. The Steels built many of Nanaimo's early homes, as well as a few buildings and stores on Commercial Street. Examples of remaining Steel-built edifices include the Hall Block (1925), the Commercial Hotel (1951), and the Nash Hardware store (1946-1947). A distinct contribution made by the Steels to Nanaimo's building history were the Spanish Mission style of home which were built from plans sent from San Diego, California. Examples of the style can still be seen in three homes, all located on Pine Street. The youngest son, Joseph Steel, married Elsie (nee Baldwin; b.1910), and their two children, Joseph Douglas (b.1939) and Marlyn (b.1936), were both born in Nanaimo. In 2009, J. Douglas (Doug) published his memoir, entitled "Early Recollections: Nanaimo, the Forties and Fifties."
        Collection consists of reprinted and original photographs of the Steel family and of buildings they constructed and/or lived in. Also includes a Steel family history tree compiled by Doug Steel.
        Title based on the contents of the collection.
        Item level descriptions available.
 
 
family photo, 100 Victoria Road, B&W

Members of the Steel family at their home at 100 Victoria Road.