St. Andrew's United Church collection
 
        St. Andrew's United Church collection [textual record, graphic material, architectural
drawing]. -- 1892, [195-].
.5 cm of textual records
20 photographs: b&w
1 architectural drawing
 
        Presbyterians initially worshipped in the courthouse until 1866 when Peter Sabiston built the first St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church at the corner of Wesley and Fitzwilliam Streets. This simple wooden structure was replaced by a more elaborate brick structure in 1893. The old church was moved to the rear of the lot and was later incorporated into the church hall that was built in 1927. In 1925, the Congregationalists, Methodists and Presbyterians amalgamated to form St. Andrew's United Church. Many members of St. Andrew's voted against union and subsequently left the church and built a new Presbyterian Church at the corner of Franklyn and Wesley Streets (since demolished). St. Andrew's United Church continues to provide church services today and is also a popular venue for concerts, weddings and other social events.
        The architectural drawings were originally donated to the Nanaimo District Museum in an undocumented transaction. In 1992, the plans were officially donated to the Nanaimo Community Archives by St. Andrew's United Church. The photographs were part of an album purchased in Victoria in 1999 by Peter Scott. The Nanaimo photographs were removed by Scott and donated to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1999; the album was donated to the Powell River Museum. The album was predominantly about Rev. Moses who was in Powell River in 1941 and was, it appears, in Nanaimo sometime later. The Messiah programmes were donated to the Nanaimo Museum in an undocumented transaction and transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1993. The Diamond Jubilee materials were donated to the Museum in 1989 (Museum Accn No.: 989.21 a & b) and transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1993.
        Collection consists of items associated with St. Andrew's Church including floorplans of the main floor and gallery and a sketch of the exterior, photographs of the church, the old and new manses and the dedication ceremony of the new manse, programmes for a production of the Messiah and Diamond Jubilee (1934) materials.
        Title based on the contents of the collection.
        Church Hall Plans are available in the Engineering and Public Works Department fonds.