Royal Canadian Mounted Police (Nanaimo) fonds
 
        Royal Canadian Mounted Police (Nanaimo) fonds [textual record, graphic material]. -- 1952-1974, 1987.
5 cm of textual records
44 photographs : b&w, col.

        The Nanaimo Detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police was opened in 1919 and was responsible for enforcing federal statutes only. It closed in 1924 and re-opened in 1950 when many members of the British Columbia Provincial Police were absorbed into the R.C.M.P. From 1950-1956, the detachment was located at 420 Fitzwilliam Street. In 1956, it moved to a purpose-built building at 303 Prideaux Street. The detachment occupied this building until a new facility was built in 1987 (adjacent to the old building). In 2002, the facility was expanded.
        Records were transferred to the City Hall Vault at an unknown date. In 2003, they were transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives. The photographs were donated to the Archives in 1996 by Judy Zerr on behalf of the R.C.M.P.
        Fonds consists of monthly policing reports that were submitted to the Mayor of Nanaimo by detachment staff. Reports include statistical information about the number and type of complaints, crimes and convictions. Many of the reports also include a brief narrative of policing concerns and issues. After 1974, the reports were filed with the Office of the City Clerk's Committee reports. Also includes 44 photographs of the new 1987 facility.
        Title based on the contents of the fonds.
        See also Royal Canadian Mounted Police collection.