Royal Canadian Mounted Police (Nanaimo) collection
 
        Royal Canadian Mounted Police (Nanaimo) collection [textual record]. -- 1953, 1956, 1981, 1985.
5 leaves

        The Nanaimo Detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police was opened in 1919 and was responsible for enforcing federal statutes only. It closed in 1924 and re-opened in 1950 when many members of the British Columbia Provincial Police were absorbed into the R.C.M.P. From 1950-1956, the detachment was located at 420 Fitzwilliam Street. In 1956, it moved to a purpose-built building at 303 Prideaux Street. The detachment occupied this building until a new facility was built in 1987 (adjacent to the old building). In 2002, the facility was expanded.
        Materials were donated to the Nanaimo District Museum in an undocumented transaction and transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1993.
        Collection consists of correspondence from the national headquarters of the R.C.M.P. to the Museum regarding the history of the detachment (1981); four photographs of various officers (1953, 1956, [1985?]) and a copy of a letter to Corporal Kuchta regarding recognition of his outstanding police service (1985). 
        Title based on contents of collection.
        See also Royal Canadian Mounted Police fonds