Nanaimo Symphony Orchestra fonds
 
        Nanaimo Symphony Orchestra fonds [textual record, graphic material]. -- 1949-1994.
76 cm of textual records
12 photographs
 
        The first Nanaimo Symphony Orchestra was formed in 1910. This group amalgamated with Arnold's Orchestra in 1915 to become The Nanaimo Philharmonic Society. The Nanaimo Philharmonic Society's predecessor was known as The Nanaimo City Symphonettes after the cessation of the Society. The Nanaimo City Symphonettes were a group of students and adults from Nanaimo, Port Alberni, Ladysmith and Lake Cowichan under the direction of Band teacher, Mr. Maurice Kushner. As this group grew, they formed the Nanaimo Symphony Orchestra Society on January 8, 1950, comprising 65 musicians under the direction of Band leader, Maurice Kushner. They met at the Eagle's Hall. Board Members included President L.F. Spearing; Vice-president: E. G. Hopper; Secretary/Treasurer: Mrs. S.T. Donegan; Business Manager: F. Gullard; and four other Directors. The Society took over many responsibilities from Mr. Kushner, such as hiring halls, advertising, ticket sales etc. who had performed most of these tasks himself for the previous two years. The formation of a Ladies Auxiliary to the Society in 1951, relieved the Officers and Directors of The Society of many routine tasks. Other than a two year sabbatical from 1962-1964, Mr. Kushner continued as Director until 1968. Rehearsals were held every Sunday with 2 or 3 concerts being presented. Mr. Kushner's ill health from 1954 until 1962 resulted in orchestra members assisting with the direction of the orchestra. Heinz Killan, violinist, and John Getgood, oboist, were two who assumed this temporary position. During this period it was common to engage the services of professional musicians from Vancouver and Victoria. This practice was disapproved of by some members of the Society. Mr. Kushner was succeeded as Director in 1968 by Brian Gooch, who served from 1968-1971; Dr. John L. Lewis undertook the position as Director from 1971-1972. The Directorship was then subsequently filled by Edward Gibney, Thomas Petrowitz, Robert Cooper, Bruce Dunn, Ian Hampton, and Lloyd Blackman. Since its inception, the Symphony has included all age-groups and nationalities.
        Fonds consists of material created and accumulated by the Symphony. The fonds is arranged in four series: 1) Administration; 2) Financial records (discarded, Dec 2015); 2) Miscellaneous and 3) Scrapbooks.
        Title based on the contents of the fonds.
        Series descriptions available.
        Series were re-numbered after original Series 2 was discarded.
 
Series 1.
 
        Administration [textual record]. -- 1950-1980.
32 cm of textual records

        Series consists of records relating to the general administration of the society and the orchestra.
        Title based on the contents of the series.
 
Series 2.
 
[Financial Records: Discarded September 2015].
 
Series 2.
 
        Miscellaneous [textual record, graphic material]. -- 1950-1989.
17 cm of textual records
12 photographs
 
        Series consists of reference material documenting the activities of the Symphony, including unpublished manuscripts written by John Cass on the history of the Nanaimo Symphony Orchestra, records relating to the Ladies Auxiliary of the symphony, membership rosters and concert and recital programs.
        Title based on the contents of the fonds.
 
Series 3.
 
        Scrapbooks [textual record, graphic material]. -- 1960-1992.
5 v.

        Series consists of scrapbooks of correspondence, programmes, newsclippings, and photographs of musicians, performances and other activities of the Symphony.
        Title based on the contents of the series.