Nanaimo Recreation Commission fonds
 
        Nanaimo Recreation Commission fonds [textual record]. -- 1954-1957, 1971.
5 cm of textual records

        The Recreation Commission was created by a resolution of the City Council on April 23,1954. Its purpose was to direct the development of recreational programs and facilities for the Nanaimo area. Members were appointed from the following bodies: the City of Nanaimo, Nanaimo District School Board, Nanaimo Board of Park Commissioners, and from the general public. In 1957, the Board of Parks Commissioners, the Arena Commission and the Recreation Commission were merged to become the Parks and Recreation Commission. The current (2008) name of the commission is the Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission.
        Some materials were donated to the Nanaimo District Museum by Alderman J. Parker who was both a Museum Director and a member of the Commission. Records were transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1993. Remaining materials were transferred directly to the Archives by the Parks, Recreation and Culture department in 2007.
        Fonds consists of the records of the Recreation Commission and predecessor bodies. Records include a constitution (1954), annual report (1956) and minutes (1954-1957). Also includes a Parks and Recreation Commission Policy File (1971).
        Title based on the contents of the fonds.
        Original museum code: B11/14, B11/15.