Nanaimo Electric Light, Power and Heating Company fonds
 
        Nanaimo Electric Light, Power and Heating Company fonds [textual record]. -- 1898-1908, 1918-1930.
13 cm of textual records

        Alexander Shaw built a coal-powered electric plant in Nanaimo in 1888, primarily for lighting streets and homes. In 1904, the Victoria-owned company built a hydro-electric plant and dam on the Millstone River. In 1907, No.2 dam was built at Westwood Lake. The company was sold in 1926 to the International Utilities Corporation. William Lewis started as bookkeeper and collector for the company in 1897 and was manager of the Nanaimo operations until 1931.
        Materials were donated to the Nanaimo District Museum in an undocumented transaction and transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1993.
        Fonds consists of an income cashbook listing customers and amounts due for service, work journals with newsclippings and manuscript notes about events, weather and electrical services correspondence, notes and service pamphlet.
        Title based on the contents of the fonds.
        Original museum classification: Code 23, 4.