Independent Order of Oddfellows, Black Diamond Lodge No. 5 fonds
 
        Independent Order of Oddfellows, Black Diamond Lodge No. 5 fonds [textual record]. -- 1879-1901.
2 cm of textual records
 
        Black Diamond Lodge No. 5 of the Independent Order of Oddfellows was instituted in Nanaimo on April 7, 1874 by dispensation from the Grand Lodge of the United States. First officers included: S.D. Levi-Noble Grand, Edward Quennell-Vice Grand, John Pawson-Secretary, J. McKay Sabiston-Treasurer and J. Gemmel-Inside Guard. In addition to the Black Diamond Lodge, the Friendship, Cedar and Centennial Lodges were instituted in the area. These eventually amalgamated with Black Diamond Lodge. The Lodge owned several properties in the downtown area, most notably the Oddfellows Block (currently 26 Commercial Street) which for many years featured a dance hall in the lower level.
        The fonds was created from records in the Museum collection and from Accession 2000 006 A. The latter consists of a deed of land that was in the possession of Frank Wood. The connection between Wood and the Oddfellows is unknown. Fonds consists of records related to property acquired by the Lodge, a memorandum from Samuel Robins of the Vancouver Coal Mining and Land Company regarding harbour infill and three banquet tickets.
        Title based on provenance.
        Memorandum is encapsulated.