Dickinson family fonds
 
        Dickinson family fonds [textual record, graphic material]. -- [ca.1900] -1991.
3 cm of textual records
19 photographs
 
        Charles Reginald Dickinson was born on June 10, 1914; the first of the five children of Ernest and Caroline Dickinson to be born in Canada. He stayed in Nanaimo throughout his youth, marrying Georgina Brown on August 18, 1938. They settled in Union Bay where they had their only child, Tony. Dickinson's first job was as a coal miner on Protection Island. He then went on to work as a coal miner in Cumberland and at the White Rapids Mine, and as a copper miner in the Princeton area. Other occupations included work in logging camps in the Lake Cowichan and Fanny Bay areas, as well as work in the Biological Station. He then became a City of Nanaimo employee for around twenty-three years. Dickinson was an outspoken worker who belonged to the United Workers of America; the Mine, Mill & Smelter Workers; the IWA; and CUPE unions. As well as being a full participant in union movements, Dickinson had many other interests, such as wood-working and lamp manufacturing. He also was very active in the community. He belonged to the following organizations: the Kinsmen Child Development Centre, the Historical Society, Native Sons of B.C., Coal Tyee Society, Caledonia Society, Chase River Centennial Committee, the Chase River Recreation Commission, the 9th Nanaimo Scouts & Cubs Group Committee, the Scout Master for the first Nanaimo Scout Troup, the Neurological and Cerebral Palsy Association, and the Loyal Order of Moose. Charles R. Dickinson passed away at Nanaimo Hospital on February 25, 1987 at the age of seventy-two. He was survived by his wife and son.
        Materials were given to Peggy Nicholls by one of her caregivers who received them from Georgina Dickinson. In 2001, Nicholls gave the materials to Daphne Paterson who accepted them on behalf of the Nanaimo Community Archives.
        Fonds consists predominantly of the papers of Reg Dickinson but also includes some records of other family members. Includes photographs (ca.1900-1991), correspondence (1936-1982), certificates and memorabilia (1931-1987). The photographs are predominantly of family members and include views of a store on Comox Road in the winter, Newcastle Island in the 1920s and the CCF Hall on Wharf Street.
        Title based on the contents of the fonds.
 
Series 1.
 
        Photographs [graphic material]. -- [1888-1960].
40 photographs
 
        Series consists of 40 photographs of family members, farm life, and buildings. Many individuals are unidentified.
        Title based on the contents of the series.
 
Series 2.
 
        Miscellaneous [textual record]. -- [1912-1960].
.1 cm of textual records
 
        Series consists of a post card, two obituaries, a wedding announcement, and a hand-drawn family tree.
        Title based on the contents of the series.